Sunday, January 31, 2010

Prep vs Punk

Good morning, well it is morning for me when i am officially writing this. I'm going to start off today’s post with a little analysis of myself and other, I wouldn’t quite say victims of the fashion industry, teenagers who have been brainwashed by what is “cool”.

Now I wouldn’t say I am immune to this disease of everyone wearing the same thing, (vans, converse, high top socks… I swear they are everywhere at school!) I mean I have a pair of cons, but I’m a skater so it’s okay for me.

On to my analysis, I was walking through the mall in my home town, and to enter you have to walk past Skate Works. Which as you can probably guess is a skateboard shop. I looked in at my fellow skaters, but I also looked in at what seemed like a pack of apes.

The beanies and wide brimmed hats bouncing up and down as they ran around and cursed like crazy. The skaters that give guys like me a bad name. so I walked past the bouncing plaid and the way too tight skinny jeans to view the rest of the zoo.

As I turned the corner I came upon the Aeropostle crowd. The preppieness of it could drive you crazy, weird considering most of my shirts are Aeropostle… thanks bro for infecting me with the Aeropostle virus. The constant repetition of the word, Aeropostle, Aeropostle, Aeropostle, on every t-shirt, button up, jacket, sweatshirt and pair of underwear was, not frightening, but overwhelming.

Could you honestly define prep as one word simply being repeated over and over? Or was it that sense of cool you got when you walked into the store and were surrounded by the upbeat music and vibrant colors? Oh, and you mustn’t forget the custom perfumes!

So I kept moving on through the mall, past the food court, the wig counter, the shoe stores, the clock stores, all of them with their own serenity, and then suddenly loud rock/punk/screamo music comes blasting into my ears. I look right and what do I see? Why Hot Topic of course! Where the music, gothism, and don’t forget to mention twilight, is everywhere. The gauges the make up, the chains and spandex, oh it is the store my mom wish she had at sixteen.

I guess my analysis is to show all of these different fashions existing in one place. And it reminds mo of, well… me. I shop at Hot Topic, Skate Works, and Aeropostle. I use all these different elements of all these different themes from punk, prep, and poor judgment (skater), and combine them all to form my own theme, MY look.

So my overall tip today is don’t stick with one theme, because then you are labeled. Combine different things you like to create your own theme. So you can only be labeled, as you…

No comments:

Post a Comment